In 1897 C.C. Filson began outfitting prospectors headed for the Gold Rush with tools and apparel strong enough for the toughest spots on earth. More than 100 years later, Filson remains committed to providing pioneers of all fields around the world with unfailing goods made from the highest quality materials available.
Filson recognizes that it takes a world-class team to make a world-class product. As we build on the Filson legacy of American craftsmanship, we are looking for individuals who share our dedication to innovation, excellence, and superior customer service.
Filson is enjoying a sustained period of growth and reinvention, and we are looking for a self-motivated and collaborative Purchasing Manager with the ability to operate in a highly dynamic environment. Filson has internal manufacturing as well as established relationships with many external vendors and we’re looking for someone who has the analytical ability and financial acumen to drive the business forward. The ideal candidate will have a unique blend of skillsets, including strong leadership skills, a limitless curiosity to dig deeper if something isn’t adding up, and taking a proactive approach to comprehend and advance the business. This is an opportunity to work cross functionally, have high impact, and work with a great team
The Purchasing Manager is responsible for the planning and procurement of all raw materials. The position will interact with internal and external parties to ensure materials arrive to plan and to quality standards. This role will be integral in the planning and forecasting of raw and finished goods inventory. The Purchasing Manager will report to the Director of Planning and manage the purchasing and materials team.
• Collaborates with internal parties and external vendors to ensure raw materials are delivered on time and to plan.
• Works with Forecasting and Finance to readjust buy plan according to business trends.
• Keen understating of inventory turns and best practices
• Proactively work and negotiate with existing vendors and seek new vendors to obtain higher quality, lower cost goods and the highest quality customer service.
• Work closely with logistic partners scheduling in shipments maximizing discounts and minimizing financial outlay for freight.
• Review raw materials inventory and communicate liability inventory to internal partners to establish repurposing expectations.
• Establish new and manage existing vendor relationships in conjunction with Product Development.
• Manage quality standards with vendors and resolve quality and order issues accordingly.
• This position is responsible for developing, maintaining and documenting new and existing systems for goods procurement.
• Communicate position to plan on a weekly and monthly basis to internal parties.
• Establish buy plan calendar and manage Materials Planning team in the creation and execution of the purchase orders and materials delivery process.
• Alert internal parties of inability to meet supply demands and collaborate to established alternative solutions.
• Build new processes to ensure that the above responsibilities are completed efficiently and cost-effectively.
• Manage and mentor a small team.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Business, Accounting, or similar major preferred
• 7+ years in material management, buying or planning role required
• 3+ years in supervisory/management position preferred
• Experience buying raw materials preferred
• Apparel industry experience strongly preferred
• Strong knowledge of Excel
• Experience in Microsoft Dynamics AX a plus
• Experience fixing and establishing systems and processes
• Proved analytical and problem solving skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met of any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform those essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
• Regularly sit and stand
• Use hands, fingers, and arms to use computers and other office equipment
• Use hands, fingers, and arms to lift, squeeze, pinch, grab products/items/supplies
• Reach up, across, or down to retrieve products and supplies
• See, talk, and hear.
• Occasionally required to walk
• Occasionally required to move or lift up to 25 pounds
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to view and read text on computer screen and printed material.
Note: This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Filson is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy that all decisions involving any aspect of the employment relationship will be made without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, veteran and military status, genetic information, political ideology or any other status or characteristic protected by local, state or federal law. Discrimination and/or harassment based on any of those factors are totally inconsistent with our philosophy of doing business and will not be tolerated.
With regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, the company offers what the law refers to as "reasonable accommodation" to enable a person to perform his or her job.