In 1897 C.C. Filson began outfitting prospectors headed for the Gold Rush with tools and apparel strong enough for the toughest spots on earth. More than 100 years later, Filson remains committed to providing pioneers of all fields around the world with unfailing goods made from the highest quality materials available.
Filson is looking for a proven retail leader that has worked in premium brand and supported multi stores in the US and Canada. The successful candidates likes to be innovative and collaborate with your team and peers in corporate HQ. This Seattle based position will play a critical role in driving our retail expansion plans as we are adding retail locations. Your role is to create an amazing brand experience. You inspire teams to be smart leaders, engaging, and expand our retail footprint and grow this amazing business.
Director of Retail
As Director of Retail, you will be responsible for the overall strategy for retail sales development in the US and Canada. Develop an innovative approach to retail by establishing sales growth plans in collaboration with CEO, CFO and Retail Development, Merchandising and Planning teams. You will be responsible for driving revenue and strategic relationships to our business, developing and guiding the implementation of the specific business plans, achieving profitability and sales targets.
Filson is about creating consumer engagement and telling a brand story. We believe in unfailing goods. We’re a team of thinkers with different backgrounds and points of view – we bring a wide variety of skills and experiences to the table every day. Director of Retail is responsible for providing leadership and executive direction to staff while directing the day to day retail operations of Filson stores.
• Maximizes store performance through effective coaching & feedback; including effective talent assessment and strategy. Is responsible for the overall development and leadership of retail store employees in a dynamic retail environment.
• Responsible for translating retail strategy into individual store plans, cascading clear vision of success throughout the teams
• Develops and executes annual business plans based on budget forecasting and industry analysis.
• Responsible for business analysis and monthly financial reforecasting by store.
• Develop and maintain all financial aspects relative to the retail P&L.
• Responsible for the overall training & developments of managers in all aspects of the business including clientelling, brand fit, hiring, performance evaluations and disciplinary actions.
• Participates in seasonal product launch meetings to merchandise the assortment for the retail channel.
• Work closely with Merchant and Planning teams to ensure stores are merchandised to meet our business plan.
• Work closely with Visual Merchandising team to ensure stores meet brand standards and associates are trained accordingly.
• Develops and implements procedures for purchasing equipment, supplies, etc.
• Interacts with Filson leadership to implement vision, mission and company values.
• Maintains internal monitoring of business goals and objectives.
• Researches ongoing marketing trends for the retail store industries to determine pricing, and develops and implements plans to maximize sales in order to meet or exceed goals and objectives.
• Reviews operational records and reports on a daily basis and works with managers to analyze and improve projections of sales and profits to meet budget targets.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent.
• 5+ years of multi-unit management or equivalent, including P&L responsibility.
• Strategic mindset – the ability to see opportunities and translate those into breakthrough action.
• Interpersonal savvy – able to relate openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people. Ability to partner with multiple stakeholders both inside and outside of Filson.
• Resilience and managerial courage – able to rebound from setbacks when faced with difficult situations; able to handle conflict with a minimum of noise. Ability to lead and direct the work of others in most cases remotely, while managing performance to optimum levels.
• Strong analytical and tech skills – comfortable with Excel, dashboards, retail math concepts, POS and CRM systems. Must have working knowledge of computers and software associated with a retail operation and experience Microsoft Office Suite.
• Must be well organized with excellent attention to detail and ability to coordinate various projects.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business which may include weekend & evenings.
• Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
• Must be able to travel at least 50% of time.
Note: This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Filson is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that every employee has the right to work in surroundings which are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy that all decisions involving any aspect of the employment relationship will be made without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, veteran and military status, genetic information, political ideology or any other status or characteristic protected by local, state or federal law. Discrimination and/or harassment based on any of those factors are totally inconsistent with our philosophy of doing business and will not be tolerated.
With regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, the company offers what the law refers to as "reasonable accommodation" to enable a person to perform his or her job.